Teozacualco, Mapa de

This pictorial manuscript, measuring 142 by 177 cm., dating from 1580, and relating to the Mixtec community of San Pedro Teozacoalco, in the modern state of Oaxaca, resides currently in the Benson Library at the University of Texas, Austin. The library kindly provided a digital image for publication in the Mapas Project. The Mapa de Teozacoalco is part of the map and manuscript genre called Relaciones Geográficas, produced in response to questionnairex that came from Spanish monarchs, seeking information about their colonies. This map was made in response to inquiries from the Spanish King Philip II. The Mapa de Teozacoalco, painted on 23 sheets of European paper pasted together at their edges, contains indigenous pictorial styles, but shows some European influence. The landscape, for instance, is dotted with new Christian churches. Roads show not only human footprints but also horseshoe prints. Emphasis resides in the history of Teozacoalco, with information about a tenth-century ruling family, and subsequent genealogy through the sixteenth century. The circular shape is worthy of special attention. The circle includes 46 glyphic placenames on the community’s territorial boundaries. The extra curve with glyphic placenames refers to an earlier set of boundaries. Alfonso Caso published a small book-length study of this pictorial map (1949, 1992), and Stephen L. Whittington has also published “The Mapa de Teozacoalco: An Early Colonial Guide to a Municipality in Oaxaca,” in The Society for American Archaeology (SAA) Archaeological Record 3:4 (2003), 20–22, and a report on the FAMSI website (http://www.famsi.org/reports/01032/section01.htm). A brief mention of the Teozacoalco map is included in Volume 2 of the History of Cartography by John Brian Harley, David Woodward, and G. Malcolm Lewis (1998). The lead scholar on this close study of the Mapa de Teozacualco is Bas van Doesburg. (Stephanie Wood)

Title variants: 
Teozacoalco Map, Mapa de la Relación Geográfica de Teozacoalco
Principal editor: 
Bas van Doesburg

Transcriptions and Translations

Analytic Transcription English Translation Literal Transcription Spanish Translation Standardized Transcription
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia de santa catalina q[ue] por otro nombre se dize zocodagui dysta de la cabesera seys leguas This is the small settlement and church of Santa Catalina, which is also known as Zocodagui. It is six leagues from the administrative center.
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada santo tomas que por otro nombre se dize yutani ño dista de la cabesera doze leguas This is the small settlement and church of Santo Tomás, also known as Yutaniño, twelve leagues from the administrative center. esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada santo/ tomas que por otro nombre se dize yutani/ño dista de la cabesera doze leagues
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada sant andres que por otro nnombre se dize yucunicaanuhu dista de la cabesera tres leguas This is the small settlement and church called San Andrés, which is also known as Yucunicaanuhu. It is three leagues from the administrative center
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada san mateo que por otro nombre se dize y(n)digui dista de la ca besera dos leguas This is the small settlement and church called San Mateo, also known as Yndigui. It is two lenguas from the administrative center.
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada san ta maria dista de la cabesera media legua pequeña q[ue] por otro nombre se dize el pu[ebl]o yutacagua This is the small settlement and church called Santa Maria. It is half a small league from the administrative center. The pueblo is also known by another name, Yutacagua.
esta es la estançia e y[g]lezia llamada san migel que por otro nombre se dize cunama dista de la cabe sera legua y media This is the small settlement and church called San Miguel, also known as Cunama. It is a league and a half from the administrative center.
este es el pu[ebl]o de elote peq[ue] [que] solia ser antigu... sujeto a teozacu... This is the pueblo of Elotepec, which happened to be an ancient subject community of Teozacu[alco].